terri kirchner's fabriKations

Monday, January 09, 2012

A New week

It has been a long time since I regularly contributed to this blog..the Museum being the main reason.....

This past weekend was fantastic! I spent the majority of it creating..working on color matching for a new piece I am working on with Bonnie, BBD artist. I pulled every dusty blue I have..a total of 42 so far! and 22 yellows to oranges. When I couldn't find the right hue I treked over to the local quilt shop...I haven't been there in about a year..to see what I could discover. It almost appeared as if their owner knew I was coming..there was a whole new shipment of blue solid cotton that hadn't been cut into yet!

When I returned home I began to cut and piece...with a new rotary blade in place the old habits of measuring twice and cutting once ensued! The piecing...something I haven't been able to sit down and do in a very, very, very long time.... was so fun! I loved watching the seams match, the surprise of sharp points and intersections meeting on the first try! and,...sometimes, honestly, on the third or fourth try! After a year without sewing for myself, it was actually fun and relaxing to piece again.

I watched as the color strategy worked out...and in a few cases, not work as well as it looked in the "picture".. I listened to a favorite book uninterrupted for hours instead of in the car on mad dash to and from the building site. All of these little things I had taken for granted are now such a treat again.

I look forward to 2012 when I can spend more time in studio creating and "playing" with all the wonderful designs that have been jotted down in journals, on napkins, backs of envelopes and scratch pads. The designs are finally being put to good use.

I look forward to taking pictures of the projects soon. Until then, no snow and 50 degrees in WI in January..what a rare treat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home