terri kirchner's fabriKations

Monday, April 23, 2007

New work!







This is a piece that I promised to share way back when. This was my entry for the annual calendar challenge hosted by Quilting Arts Magazine. It wasn't a finalist so I am able to show you the pictures now! This quilt was built off the challenge of a "Novel Idea". We were asked to represent our favorite novel in the form of a small embellished quilt. I have enjoyed reading the fantasy series The Golden Compass, a story of a young girl who possessing the ability to read a magic compass on her journey to help others in the far north.
This piece is built off my Petal pixels theme of color blending showing the progression of warm land areas to the frozen polar cap. It is machine pieced and quilted (not on the long arm!) There is an Angelina overlay in the night sky to give a hint of the northern light. I embellished with a beaded compass (an old Girl Scout item) with rayon ribbons and dichroic glass beads. I used hot fix crystals in the night sky for the stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home